- A tweet gets posted by a “journalist” with a misleading headline and a link.
- Other “journalists” at FNM outlets click and see that the headline paints Trump in a negative light
- Rush the story to their twitter, fake news website or fake news network show
- The story goes viral
- 24-48 hours go by
- Story is revealed to be utter tripe.
- No retractions, apologies or corrections.
Yesterday’s big story was that Trump had placed a gag order on Federal agency twitter/media accounts. That horrible tyrant of a man, robbing federal workers of their free speech rights. Liberals everywhere jumped all over it. Federal employees created new, anonymous twitter accounts. Nobody stopped for even a second to think what would happen if they started tweeting on their employer’s official Twitter account without permission.
And then unsurprisingly, the story turned out to be utter nonsense.
From the Fake News New York Times story on the “gag order”:
“I’ve lived through many transitions, and I don’t think this is a story,” said a senior E.P.A. career official who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the news media on the matter. “I don’t think it’s fair to call it a gag order. This is standard practice. And the move with regard to the grants, when a new administration comes in, you run things by them before you update the website.”